[openib-general] GSI compromise

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Aug 4 09:55:16 PDT 2004

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 10:28:04 -0700
Roland Dreier <roland at topspin.com> wrote:

> How does the response bit get handled then?  (eg lots of consumers
> will want to see get responses but not gets).

Currently, there's not a way to hand a received MAD to more than one consumer, so responses go only to the requestor.  My preference would be to give ownership of a received MAD to one consumer in order to avoid data copies.

To allow other clients to see MADs, I was thinking of adding in some sort of snooping functionality (either by extending these APIs or adding a new one).  But I wanted to make it clear through the API which clients would be taking ownership of received MADs, versus those who were only allowed to view it.

I've updated the file to use a bitmask.  I've also added the file to SVN under https://openib.org/svn/trunk/contrib/intel/ib_mad.h.

>     Roland> - should we use a "struct list_head" instead of our own type
>     Roland> for ib_mad_msg.next?
>
>     Sean> I'm fine with this.  I followed what I had for the work
>     Sean> requests.  Maybe those should change as well?
>
> That's a good idea.  It adds one more pointer to the work request
> (since struct list_head is doubly linked) but I think being able to
> use macros like list_for_each(), list_del(), etc. is worth it.

I will update the pointers.