[openib-general] MAD snooping

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Aug 4 15:05:18 PDT 2004

I've been looking at what it would take to get some sort of snooping functionality into the MAD APIs.  Questions:

At which level should this functionality be?  Should it be at a lower-level, where individual MADs are seen?  Or should it be above the request/response level, similar to what other clients would see?  Or both?  Is there a better name for this than snooping?  Do we need this feature on redirected QPs, if possible?

At the lower-layer, *all* MADs would be seen, but the user doesn't get the benefits of RMPP.  At the upper level, they get RMPP, but some MADs wouldn't be seen.

I'm also trying to understand how this might be implemented, such that if no one is snooping performance is relatively unaffected.  I think this depends on the layering.