[openib-general] Re: device classes

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Tue Aug 10 15:12:09 PDT 2004

    Greg> I think you need to start out slow and work into it.  Don't
    Greg> try to design it all ahead of time.  Try getting the struct
    Greg> device stuff and the bus working first :)

Agreed... I've been thinking about it some more, and now that I know
about struct class_interface, I actually don't see a need to create a
virtual bus with virtual devices.

I think it should work just to create an "infiniband" class, and have
IPoIB et al register class_interfaces for this class.  Then low-level
drivers will register class_devices in the infiniband class so IPoIB
etc. get notified when devices show up or leave.  IPoIB etc can create
their own class_devices (in their own class).

Hierarchical classes might make it neater but it all seems to work in
my head....

 - R.