[openib-general] ib_req_ncomp_notif in core_ layer

Fab Tillier ftillier at infiniconsys.com
Wed Aug 11 16:19:57 PDT 2004

True, but as has been pointed out before, Tavor by default will generate a
new CQ event if any completions are left unreaped in the CQ (or something to
that effect).  See
http://openib.org/pipermail/openib-general/2004-June/003099.html.  So
rearming without polling *will* generate a CQ event if you're using Mellanox
HCAs.

> > What currently happends as far as I can see, is:
> > for req_comp_notif you dont, for req_ncomp_notif you do.
> > For n=1 the behaviour of req_ncomp_notif probably does not
> > make sence ...
> >
> > If you dont for req_ncomp_notif, what would you expect?
>
> ib_req_n_notify_cq() is outside of the spec, so needs to be defined.  My
> expectation would be that it behaves similar to ib_req_notify_cq(), in
> that it generates an event after wc_cnt (or one solicited) *new*
> completions are added to the CQ.

We're hitting the whole "should CQ rearm be spec compliant" issue again.  My
understanding was that we were going for non-spec compliance because that's
how the current Mellanox HCA is implemented (at least in the FW).  So to
poll, a user does poll->rearm, not rearm->poll.

Either way, both rearm calls need to have the same general semantics, and
the expected behavior needs to be clear so that future HCA HW and SW can be
implemented "properly".

- Fab