[openib-general] modify_device API?

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Fri Aug 13 18:42:44 PDT 2004

I'm starting to look at implementing the new device query/modify API,
and I have a few questions about the modify_device API.

First, the enum ib_device_attr_flags

	enum ib_device_attr_flags {
		IB_DEVICE_SM			= 1,
		IB_DEVICE_SNMP_TUN_SUP		= (1<<1),
		IB_DEVICE_DM_SUP		= (1<<2),
		IB_DEVICE_VENDOR_CLS_SUP	= (1<<3),
		IB_DEVICE_RESET_QKEY_CNTR	= (1<<4)
	};

seems to leave out a few things that IBTA says can be changed, namely
system image GUID, port shutdown, and PortInfo:InitType.

Also, there are a couple of extensions we may want to add, namely
setting IsCM and possibly IsClientReregistrationSupported in the
capabilities.

Next, the API

	int ib_modify_device(struct ib_device *device,
			     u8 port_num,
			     int device_attr_flags);

seems to leave out the actual properties structure.

One last minor question: system image GUID is really per-device (since
it's in NodeInfo, not PortInfo), so requiring a port number to set it
seems a little unclean.  Is it worth creating a new entry point for
setting system image GUID (and any other per-device settings we want)?

 - Roland