[openib-general] modify_device API?

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Fri Aug 13 20:08:41 PDT 2004

    Fab> Only if you add things like system image GUID and InitType.
    Fab> Otherwise, the flags provide all the information needed.

Hmm... true in a way but what if someone eg only wants to set the IsSM
bit without touching anything else?  I guess they could do a query
first to find out the current state but even that leaves a race open
between the query and the modify.

    Fab> InitType is also per-device.

In my copy of the 1.1 spec it's PortInfo:InitType, which seems to
indicate that it's actually per-port (unless this has been changed in
the errata).

    Fab> I'd suggest ib_modify_device should be ib_modify_port, and a
    Fab> new API for the system image GUID and InitType created, named
    Fab> something like ib_modify_node.  This way, the function names
    Fab> give a clue as to what is being changed - port info for
    Fab> ib_modify_port, and node info for ib_modify_node.

This is what we did for the Topspin API.

 - R.