[openib-general] modify_device API?

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Mon Aug 16 09:07:53 PDT 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:42:44 -0700
Roland Dreier <roland at topspin.com> wrote:

> I'm starting to look at implementing the new device query/modify API,
> and I have a few questions about the modify_device API.

The call originally mapped to the vapi_modify_hca_attr routine.  Looking at the vapi code, I don't see how you can set the system image guid, port shutdown, or inittype, so it does appear that this functionality is missing.

> Also, there are a couple of extensions we may want to add, namely
> setting IsCM and possibly IsClientReregistrationSupported in the
> capabilities.

Agreed.

> Next, the API
>
> 	int ib_modify_device(struct ib_device *device,
> 			     u8 port_num,
> 			     int device_attr_flags);
>
> seems to leave out the actual properties structure.
>
> One last minor question: system image GUID is really per-device (since
> it's in NodeInfo, not PortInfo), so requiring a port number to set it
> seems a little unclean.  Is it worth creating a new entry point for
> setting system image GUID (and any other per-device settings we want)?

If you have a proposal for an alternate API, please let me know.  Otherwise, I will take some time and examine some of the other code and try to pull something together.  I like the idea of having two calls, modify_port and modify_device/node.