[openib-general] one request

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 24 10:03:41 PDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Roland Dreier wrote:

>     ron> Ollie Lo found in the latest mellanox gold source tree a
>     ron> circular dependency.  The tavor driver depended on the mad
>     ron> symbols being loaded, but correct initialization of the mad
>     ron> layer required that the tavor driver be loaded.
>
> I don't believe there is a circular dependency (otherwise it would be
> impossible to load the modules).  The problem is actually that the MAD
> module does _not_ depend on the Tavor driver, so module dependencies
> don't automatically load the Tavor driver.

no, that's not what the code is doing.

Have you run this stuff? It's really clear if you do.

tavor load fails on an ib_mad symbol, and if you load mad without loading
tavor, then the interface list won't get initialized correctly. So what
the ib_mad stuff does is demand-load the tavor driver about halfway
through its module init.

I'll find the source and quote chapter and verse if that helps :-)

> It should work fine to either load the MAD driver and then load the
> Tavor driver, or just modprobe the Tavor driver, which will bring in
> the Tavor driver and all its dependencies (including the MAD driver).

it doesn't, at least on mellanox gold cd as of the most recent download we
did.

ron