[openib-general] DAPL for openib

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Tue Aug 31 15:23:59 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 17:09, Sean Hefty wrote:
> > > The method array is only needed if a client doesn't register to
> > > receive all unsolicited MADs for a specific class.
> >
> > This means that for any class, the IB MAD layer needs to know
> > which methods are used for unsolicited MADs.
>
> I don't think that the MAD layer needs to know this information.

Then can you remind me why we are passing in the ib_mad_reg_req
structure which contains the method array bitmask ? (see below)

> It needs to know if a received MAD was sent in response to a previously sent one.
> In general, this means checking the response bit.  If not, it will route the MAD to whichever client
> is registered to receive unsolicited MADs that match the MADs version / class / method / attribute / etc.

Right and we don't go down to attribute right now but may need to. Isn't
the method here the reason for the method bitmask ? This seems to be
at odds with the previous statement about the MAD layer not needing to
know this. That would be true for responses but not unsolicited
requests. Is that what you meant ?

> If the MAD is a response, it can route based on the transaction ID.

Based on the high 32 bits of the TID.

> Of course there are exceptions to the rule of simply checking the response bit, like RMPP.

Are there any exceptions you are aware of off the top of your head ?

Thanks.