[openib-general] IP over IB configuration procedure

Philippe Gregoire philippe.gregoire at cea.fr
Fri Dec 3 10:44:03 PST 2004

What are the requires steps to configure IP over IB ?
I was able to load the kernel modules but unable to configure the
interface ib0 with /sbin/ifup

Is /sbin/ifup the correct command to setup the infinband interface or is
there any other procedure to follow ?
I tried also to configure "manually" the interface but pinging another
node does not work.

I execute the following commands :

# modprobe ib_mthca
# modprobe ib_ipoib
# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ib_ipoib               51608  1
ib_sa                  12812  1 ib_ipoib
ib_mthca               76944  0
ib_mad                 28180  2 ib_sa,ib_mthca
ib_core                41472  4 ib_ipoib,ib_sa,ib_mthca,ib_mad
iptable_filter          4224  0
ip_tables              19600  1 iptable_filter
ep                    418080  0
rms                    24868  0
elan4                 256520  1 ep
elan3                 304400  1 ep
elan                   41760  3 ep,elan4,elan3
qsnet                  91812  5 ep,rms,elan4,elan3,elan
# dmesg
ib_mthca: Mellanox InfiniBand HCA driver v0.06-pre (November 8, 2004)
ib_mthca: Initializing Mellanox Technology MT23108 InfiniHost (0000:04:00.0)
divert: not allocating divert_blk for non-ethernet device ib0
divert: not allocating divert_blk for non-ethernet device ib1
]# ifup ib0
Error, some other host already uses address xxx.yyy.zzz.119.

Thanks for your help
Philippe