[openib-general] IPoIB still not working [was IPoIB FAQ Update]

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Tue Dec 7 12:26:38 PST 2004

>Is it correct to presume you do not have an IB analyzer to capture the
>SA packets on the link to/from the x86_64 system ?

>-- Hal

No, unfortunately we do not have a 4x IB analyzer.
Note that the same openib.org code running
on a 32-bit system does not seem to invoke the complaints from opensm.
I looked at the opensm code and it is looking for a value of 1 in
the join_state. I looked at the ipoib_multicast.c code and the join
routine appears to set the value to 1. Somehow the value is lost
in transit. Perhaps there is some 32/64 bit issue with the data
structures,
etc. that allows it to work on a 32 bit platform and fail on x86_64.
As I said, I did not debug it any further. It does however not look
like the issue is with dropping multicast packets, which was the
firmware issue we saw with the PCI-E cards. Rather, it looks like
x86_64 systems are having issues communicating with a 32-bit opensm.