[openib-general] Re: User MAD support for cancel MAD

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Mon Dec 13 09:56:55 PST 2004

shaharf wrote:
> The interface issue is not so trivial. An IOCTL may do, but the problem
> is the parameter of the IOCTL. The most straight forward way is to
> specify a TID to cancel. This requires the usermode to avoid sending the
> same mad until it is timeouts. While this is reasonable, I would not
> force such a limitation,

Why would a client send the same MAD before it times out?  I think that
enforcing such a limitation is perfectly acceptable.  We could argue
that cancel MAD should work based on TID, management class, and
SGID/SLID, rather than simply the TID.

> For example, if you have a retries mechanism that work over IB_MGT
> that just retires the mad after X msecs, I think you want to let it work
> also above openib. This means that either you allow no timeout/no kernel
> matching semantics

Clients are required to use the access layer timeout mechanism to
properly match responses with requests.  If a timeout is not specified,
the access layer will drop the response, since it cannot uniquely
identify which client to hand the response to.  This is done to avoid
making multiple data copies of a receive MAD in order to hand it to all
clients.