[openib-general] CM header file

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu Dec 16 14:51:29 PST 2004

Libor Michalek wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 12:14:18PM -0800, Sean Hefty wrote:
>
>>One final note, I'm hoping that a more abstracted CM could be layered
>>on top of this one, if it were desired.  E.g. one that performs QP
>>transitions, automatically generates MRAs, retries requests, etc.
>

>   Are you suggesting that this proposed CM layer would not be responsible
> for retries and timeouts? I'm not sure how useful that would be, seems
> like every CM consumer would need/want these capabilities.

I was trying to match the existing MAD API.  The CM would perform
timeouts, but not retries.  Consumers could retry request immediately
upon notification of a timeout.  This lets the client change the
timeout value.  (I'm negotiable on this, but the cost of having clients
initiate retries is basically one function call.)

I have given some thought to how retries should work.  I've thought
about adding a new call, ib_retry_cm_send() - or something like that,
that resends the last message sent.  Or the callback could indicate to
retry.