[openib-general] Re: IPoIB Path Static Rate

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Sat Dec 18 07:46:56 PST 2004

    Hal> From Woody's MPI data (logs in
    Hal> http://openib.org/pipermail/openib-general/2004-December/007167.html),
    Hal> there appear to be some numbers above 1x to me. 1x is 2.5
    Hal> Gbps minus signalling is really a 2 Gbps data rate. There are
    Hal> numbers in the log in excess of 350 MBytes/sec which is 2.6
    Hal> Gbps.

Fair enough but I still don't think there are many fabrics right now
where not setting static rate for IPoIB will even be required, let
alone have a practical effect.

I don't object in principle to doing this right, it just seems like a
fair bit of work to write code to retrieve the local PortInfo to get
the active link speed and link width so that we can calculate our
local rate and get the right IPD.

To solve this, do you think it makes sense to add the active link
speed and link width to struct ib_port_attr so that it's easy for ULPs
to get them?  Otherwise ULPs would have to do their own PortInfo queries.

 - Roland