[openib-general] Re: IPoIB Path Static Rate

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Sat Dec 18 09:55:48 PST 2004

    Hal> That makes sense to me. There's one catch: since link
    Hal> width/speed active can change under the covers, this info
    Hal> cannot be cached by the application or there needs to be a
    Hal> tie in to an event for either of these (1.2) or link width
    Hal> active (1.1) changing.

Surely link width and/or speed can't change without the port state
changing, can they?  As I understand it, the link layer can't
renegotiate this sort of thing without bringing the link down.  In
which case ULPs only need to refresh their rate information when they
get one of the existing port state change events.

(If the link rate can change without any notice, then static rate for
RC is meaningless since a link could change from 4X to 1X without
disturbing existing connections).

 - Roland