[openib-general] Problem with userspace tree structure

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Thu Dec 23 09:22:52 PST 2004

I started looking at the code that's being checked in under
src/userspace/, and I think the current structure needs to be
modified.  As it stands now, the whole userspace/ tree is treated as a
single source package with a Makefile at the userspace/ level.

I think it would be far better to return to the older structure where
the userspace/ directory just has subdirectories for various packages
(such as userspace/tvflash).  If we continue with a monolithic
userspace/ tree, then it becomes much harder to do releases (and also
harder for users to build what they're interested in).  For example,
it will become very annoying to have to do a full release of
everything including opensm just to update ibstat.

In fact it's probably already very confusing that one can do a make
from userspace/, but to build tvflash one has to do a make from
userspace/tvflash.

Thanks,
  Roland