[openib-general] Re: LLTX and netif_stop_queue

jamal hadi at cyberus.ca
Tue Dec 28 05:31:57 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 11:10, Eric Lemoine wrote:

> Yes but requiring drivers to release a lock that they should not even
> be aware of doesn't sound good. Another way would be to keep
> dev->queue_lock grabbed when entering start_xmit() and let the driver
> drop it (and re-acquire it before it returns) only if it wishes so.
> Although I don't like this too much either, that's the best way I can
> think of up to now...

I am not a big fan of that patch either, but i cant think of a cleaner
way to do it.
The violation already happens with the LLTX flag. So maybe a big warning
that says "Do this only if you driver is LLTX enabled". The other way to
do it is put a check to see if LLTX is enabled before releasing that
lock - but why the extra cycles? Driver writer should know.

cheers,
jamal