[openib-general] Re: opensm failure

shaharf shaharf at voltaire.com
Tue Dec 28 10:32:07 PST 2004

> > > Yes. I Forgot to modify umad.c for the new udev scheme. I will do
it
> > > soon.
> > >
> > > Shahar
> >
> > Why cant I give the udev device path on a command line to opensm?
> > that would solve this once and for all, and let the user play with
> > udev names all he wants.
>
> What I had in mind was something like:
>
> ./opensm --dev /devinfiniband/umad0
>
> to work on port 1 only
>
> and
>
> ./opensm --dev /dev/infiniband/umad*
>
> to work on all ports of all devices.
>
> /dev/infiniband/umad* could be a default (maybe set at configure time
> or by varibale in makefile), but otherwise I really think *forcing* a
> specific
> udev scheme is a problem, since this makes udev scheme part of abi,
> but not checkable by abiversion.
>
> mst

You are correct about the udev scheme. I suggest that the ABI version
will change on any modification (Roland?)

Specifying dev seems like a bad idea. You will have to find what port is
active, reverse map it by scanning
/sys/class/infiniband_mad/*/{ibdev,port) and then find the correct umad
dev file and path its path to the opensm.

I prefer letting the library doing that. That what I have done and
commited. Please check again.

Shahar