[openib-general] gen2 dev branch

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Sat Jul 31 10:09:30 PDT 2004

    Roland> (in fact that is how the Topspin stack works and what I
    Roland> would expect we would want to do).

    Yaron> I sense that's your main reason for resistance, it is not a
    Yaron> valid claim, the essence of Matt's proposal is that no ones
    Yaron> stack is more important than the other, you agreed in the
    Yaron> pass that SA/GSI is not your strong part so we should use
    Yaron> something better

Your interpretation completely wrong.  I was just saying that it is
not a requirement to code everything to the lowest level API that I am
proposing, and giving the Topspin stack as an example of how my design
would be used.  Remember, we are building a "stack" so it makes sense
to layer things.

In any case you are pushing not just Voltaire's design but Voltaire's
code as well so this is a ridiculous complaint coming from you.

    Yaron> No one of the smart guys on this list including you found
    Yaron> even a use case that cannot be met by our approach, if you
    Yaron> see one please mention it, we will address it, or don't use
    Yaron> this argument

What do you mean?  I've come up with several use cases and your
response is always that you'll add yet another special case to the
API.

For example, I suggested being able to snoop every MAD.  I could also
imagine someone wanting to snoop every CM MAD or every SA MAD for
debugging those components.  The restriction of one consumer per class
doesn't look right to me either -- there could be multiple network
management applications all trying to use PM.  I could go on but I
don't think it's worth it.

I just want to provide mechanism and not policy.

 - Roland