[openib-general] gen2 dev branch

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Sat Jul 31 18:46:50 PDT 2004

    Yaron> I don't see where is the policy vs mechanism, we suggest a
    Yaron> mechanism that works and performs in the most extreme cases
    Yaron> possible , enable more functionality, more scalable, and
    Yaron> easier to work with, and the only counter arguments I see
    Yaron> is that the MAD snooping is not flexible

    Yaron> I still think you don't have a real reason to object to our
    Yaron> model so aggressively, most people in this list support it,
    Yaron> it can work with your code, and we are quite open to
    Yaron> incorporate any useful suggestions as long as they are
    Yaron> focused and productive.

I guess I've said enough times that I'm not comfortable with this
design.  I don't like the assumption that there is only one consumer
for each MAD.  I don't like the assumption that that every MAD on QP1
will follow all the GSI rules (especially since CM doesn't really
follow all the GSI ruls).  I don't like building a general kernel GSI
layer when the SA client is the only known consumer.  I don't like to
treat QP0 and QP1 so differently.

However I agree that you approach can be made to work for today's
applications, so if Sean is comfortable with it I will go along.  In
any case we can always replace it later if it turns out I'm right.

 - Roland