[Fwd: [openib-general] ifconfig ib0 down and then up vis a vis IP connectivity]

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Sat Nov 6 10:49:17 PST 2004

I have confirmed that this is an ARP cache issue on the remote machine.

The remote node is responding to the old DQPN of the machine whose IPoIB
interface was downed and then brought up. When it is brought up again,
it has a different QPN. The remote node still has the old QPN cached
until it times out and sends back to the old QPN which is discarded on
the local node.

It behaves just like a hardware address change for an IP address for
which a remote node had communication with previously (and cached it's
MAC address).

-- Hal