[openib-general] MAD agent code comments

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Tue Nov 9 09:00:54 PST 2004

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> Since the agent does not use solicited sends, are its sends completed in
> order (so this is only an issue for clients using solicited sends) ?

I would think that solicited sends (i.e. responses) would be easier to
maintain order, since those wouldn't have a timeout.  But my preference
would be to not defined the API this way.  It makes queuing for QP
overrun and error handling difficult.

For example, a client posts 2 sends, both of which get queued.  If the
first send gets posted, but the second send fails when posting to the
QP, then we'd need to delay reporting the second send's completion.
This also makes it more difficult to go to multi-threaded completion
handling, if that were shown to be beneficial.