[openib-general] Upstream submission

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Mon Nov 15 08:52:15 PST 2004

Just to focus our minds, I would like to propose that we aim to post a
first version of InfiniBand patches for review to linux-kernel next
Monday, November 22.  The plan would be to produce a series of patches
that adds the code in our gen2/trunk: the IB core, mad layer, mthca,
IPoIB and user MAD modules.  I believe the code we have now is good
enough to be reviewed, and I don't think it's going to get much better
without input from the wider Linux community.

I still need to update IPoIB driver to remove the use of /proc (more
on this later) and add timeout handling to user_mad.c.  This work
should be finished today or tomorrow.  Then I'll work on some scripts
to take our svn tree and turn it into a series of patches for posting
to lkml.  I'll post a preliminary patch series just to openib-general
by Friday morning, and if everything looks good I'll post the same
series to lkml (cc'ed to openib-general so that we get replies as well).

Unfortunately we missed the 2.6.10 release train (in yesterday's
announcment of 2.6.10-rc2, Linus said: "Ok, the -rc2 changes are
almost as big as the -rc1 changes, and we should now calm down, so I
do not want to see anything but bug-fixes until 2.6.10 is
released").  Still, I think by starting code review as soon as
possible, we maximize our chances at getting merged as soon as 2.6.11
opens up.

Comments?  Objections?

Thanks,
  Roland