[openib-general] Upstream submission

Paul Baxter paul.baxter at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Nov 15 12:04:03 PST 2004

While I am delighted that the lower layers are suffficiently stable to
warrant being considered for code review/inclusion in the kernel, I am
slightly surprised.

Has the code been used in anger enough?

There seem to be a lot of bugs still being discovered daily.

Wouldn't having at least a preliminary set of user capabilities help
assessment of the low level code and allow a wider set of people to evaluate
it.

Are there sufficient test tools and documentation to allow an IB novice
(kernel expert) to evaluate the offering.

Perhaps over the next month Doug could be a 'dry run guinea pig' for kernel
inclusion and highlight the documentation and coding areas of difficulty
prior to submission for a wider audience.

I am concerned that an overly changeable or buggy submission may do more
harm than good.

Good luck with it though as I'm really looking forward to the fruits of this
development.

Just an opinion

Paul