[openib-general] Re: More on IPoIB Multicast

Nitin Hande Nitin.Hande at Sun.COM
Thu Nov 18 09:34:32 PST 2004

Hal/Roland,
Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 12:07, Roland Dreier wrote:
>
>>multiport bonding/failover
>>(although my feeling is that it would be better to extend the existing
>>bonding driver rather than trying to put this in the IPoIB driver), ....
>

> I'm not clear what the tradeoffs / pros / cons of the two approaches
> (use the bonding driver (above the IPoIB driver) or implement it inside
> the IPoIB driver) would be.
I just started taking a look at the existing bonding driver and
evaluating what work needs to be done to support ipoib driver below it.
It seems to me like a lot of pieces for this approach are readily
available (ifenslave and other logic) etc and besides I guess that will
keep one standard approach of doing bonding in linux. I also assume that
while the ipoib gets enslaved, it will get enough opportunity to take
right set of steps for its present connections and traffic etc. I might
be wrong here though. Would like to hear from other members about this one.

Thanks
Nitin