[openib-general] Re: OpenIB Thread Usage

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Fri Nov 19 09:08:43 PST 2004

Roland Dreier wrote:
> In fact I'm not sure that having some many MAD workqueue threads isn't
> overkill that wastes resources, especially on machines with a lot of
> CPUs.

I tried to keep the MAD layer from knowing about completion threads to
make it easier to change it later.  I think once we get to some CM
performance testing, we can try adjusting the threading model to gives
us the best performance and scalability: one per port, one per CPU
shared across all ports, one per system, dynamically allocated threads, etc.

Right now, I'm not sure what sort of performance hit we'll see by having
additional idle threads when MAD traffic is low.