[openib-general] possible oops when calling ipoib_neigh_destructor while ipoib mod ule is down.

Ido Bukspan ido at mellanox.co.il
Mon Nov 29 09:03:12 PST 2004

	As far as I understand, if the kernel calls "ipoib_neigh_destructor"
after the ib_ipoib module has been taken down a kernel oops can occur. In
most cases when a driver is taken down, the kernel cleanup has already
destroyed all the ipoib driver relevant entries. We noticed that while
applications such as NetPerf are running while ipoib is taken down, the
neighbor entry may be held (by the kernel) after the module is taken down.
The destructor will only be called way after the application exits or being
terminated.
	In such case the Kernel will call the destructor method after the
module is already down resulting in a kernel oops.
	I am not 100% sure about that, but this is what I am seeing
happening when I take the ipoib module down while netperf is running. Am I
right? and if so what can be done?
	I thought that maybe we can change the neighbor destructor pointer
to NULL when the module exits.

	-Ido

Ido Bukspan
Mellanox Technologies Ltd.