[openib-general] Unicast ARP

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Mon Nov 29 09:33:39 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 12:10, Ido Bukspan wrote:
> 	In gen2 we have a problem if the destination path (e.g. LID)
> changes.

Is this restricted to LID changes or apply more generally to hardware
address (GID and/or QPN) changes ? (I had seen something similar when
the QPN changed; ARP timeout/retries are needed prior to connectivity
being restored).

> Typically the kernel issues periodically unicast ARP packets to
> addresses which are in the ARP cache to ensure that the neighbors are up and
> that the ARP cache is up to date. In gen2, unicast  ARPs arrive to the ipoib
> driver (hard_xmit) with no address handle assigned. Now, SA query is
> initiated by the ipoib driver,

Is this the PathRecord lookup for unicast GID of destination ? Is the
path record (info) cached ?

> then ARP is sent to this address, and when
> ARP response arrives back, ARP cache is not updated with the new path.

Do you mean hardware address here (GID + QPN) ?