[Fwd: Re: [openib-general] Switch SMI incoming MAD question]

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Oct 15 07:27:52 PDT 2004

If port_num is added to struct ib_wc, there are 2 options for this
field:

1. It is valid for switches only so that HCA drivers don't have to fill
this in. This is easier for HCA drivers and doesn't put an unnecessary
requirement on them. Also, there already are other switch or not checks
in the MAD layer (as dictated by SMI) so another one won't hurt.
or:
2. It is always filled in by the driver. This is easier for the MAD
layer as there is no special case code for this.

port_num only really needs to be set for DR SMPs. Not sure if that helps
or not.

I am going with option 1 unless I hear otherwise.

-- Hal