[openib-general] Hello and a basic question

bill at strahm.net bill at strahm.net
Wed Oct 20 16:06:31 PDT 2004

The IETF Working Group that is specifying IP over IB is the IP over IB
Working Group (IPoIB)
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipoib-charter.html

That said it became very easy to just call the interface IP over IB.  I
personally don't like the name - but I can live with it.  Kinda like
calling eth0 interfaces IP over Ethernet interfaces.  In reality I
would just prefer to call it the IB interface.  There is a rather long
history in the IETF of creating IP over Foo Working Groups (IPoCDN,
IPO,  IPDVB, IPRPR) where foo is your favorite layer 2 protocol.

This is my view of what has happened historically - whether this matches
anyone elses opinion is left up to the reader.

Bill