[openib-general] Latest IPoIB Bringup Questions

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Oct 28 10:51:43 PDT 2004

Hi,

After I load the ib_ipoib module (after loading ib_mthca), I see the ib0
and ib1 net interfaces.

The HW address has no QPN and the default subnet prefix (0xFE80:0....)
in it. It indicates UP and RUNNING (as well as BROADCAST and MULTICAST).

After ifconfig'ing an IPv4 address and netmask< I see the that the QPN
is filled in in the HWaddr (00-00-04-04). No other bytes change. Is that
correct ? Wouldn't the lower bytes get filled in with some local GID ?

Also, when I look at the SA packets on the IB "wire", I see the
following:

IPoIB End Node						SA

Set(MC) Bcast group (TID 0x0000000700000000) ------>
1 msec
Set(MC) Bcast group (TID 0x0000000700000000) ------>
16.837 msec
Set(MC) Bcast group (TID 0x0000000700000001) ------>
1.256 msec
               <-------------  GetResp (TID 0x0000000700000000) status 0
0.536 msec
Set(MC) x.x.x.01 group (TID x0000000700000001) ------>
        presumably 224.0.0.1
1.251 msec
               <-------------  GetResp (TID 0x0000000700000000) status 0
1.579 msec
               <-------------  GetResp (TID 0x0000000700000001) status 0
1.465 msec
          <-------------  GetResp (TID 0x0000000700000000) status 0x0600

Some questions/comments on this sequence:
1. In general, how long is the end node waiting before retransmitting a
SA MC request ?

2. How are TIDs chosen ? It looks to me like there are 2 different MC
requests potentially outstanding with the same TID.

The last request is the insufficient component mask issue.

I haven't checked connectivity at the IP level yet. (Not sure whether
the broadcast group was formed correctly or not).

One other minor comment:
Should we teach ifconfig to display Link Encap: INFINIBAND ?