[Fwd: Re: [openib-general] ib_verbs.h ib_device_attr device type]

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Sep 1 08:35:26 PDT 2004

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 12:15:53 -0400
Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 10:52, Sean Hefty wrote:
> > On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:58:45 -0400
> > One question though, where are these flags set in the ib_device
> > structure?
>
> I would think that this would be done when the device driver is notified
> by PCI that the device is present (and would be done inside
> mthca_provider.c:mthca_register_device() where it is setting up all the
> other ib_device fields). Since the entire mthca_dev structure is cleared
> via memset (in mthca_main.c:mthca_init_one), the flags are 0 as is
> correct for an HCA.

I was asking which field in what structure these would use.  Were you intending to use the "flags" field in ib_device?  Or were you hoping to set a field in the ib_device_attr structure?  (I was thinking the latter, but see that you meant the former now.)  What values are currently being set in the ib_device::flags field?  Is there a reason that field is u32 and not an int?

How about using a type field that matches up with NodeInfo::NodeType values?