[openib-general] Re: ib_mad.h ib_mad_agent.hi_tid

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Sep 1 08:39:21 PDT 2004

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:51:07 -0400
Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com> wrote:

> I have some questions related to TIDs in ib_mad.h:
>  * ib_mad_agent - Used to track MAD registration with the access layer.
>  * @hi_tid - Access layer assigned transaction ID for this client.
>  *   Unsolicited MADs sent by this client will have the upper 32-bits
>  *   of their TID set to this value.
>
> Is it the access layer client's or access layer's responsibility to set
> the high 32 bits of the TID to this value ?

I was thinking that the access layer would, but could go either way on this.

> In this context, what is the definition of unsolicited ? Are these MADs
> to be sent which have the R bit (response) bit off ?

In general, unsolicited are MADs with the R bit set to 0.  MADs with the R bit set, and all RMPP MADs would be considered solicited.

The CM is a little different, in that most of its MADs are solicited, but do not have the R bit set.  This is a case where clean layering breaks down a little.