[openib-general] Proposed device enumeration & async event APIs

Grant Grundler iod00d at hp.com
Fri Sep 10 18:12:07 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 07:10:26PM -0400, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> > register/unregister is pretty obvious and follows other linux APIs.
> > Try "fgrep register_driver include/linux/*" in linux-2.6 source tree.
>
> So should we can reg/dereg to register/deregister (in ib_mad.h) ?

Sorry - I couldn't find function declarations with "_reg_"
in ib_mad.h.
I checked out the branch with:
	svn co https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/openib-candidate

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Two other functions are declared using _reg_ (in gsi.h and ib_verbs.h)
and it's debatable if those should change.

I did find a pile of other functions which use *_register.
(e.g. find -name '*.h' | xargs fgrep register )

But this also turns up two "deregister" and not sure
what to make of them:
	ib_core.h	ib_device_notifier_deregister()
	rmpp_vendal.h	rmpp_vendal_deregister()

Overall, it's just easier to remember if all used register/unregister.
And would be easier to find when folks need to look up the parameters.
I can't assert those are sufficient reasons to change them.

thanks,
grant