[openib-general] Proposed device enumeration & async event APIs

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Fri Sep 10 19:34:26 PDT 2004

    Sean> ... use the names ib_reg_client/ib_dereg_client to better
    Sean> match the existing APIs.  (Same comments with
    Sean> "register/unregister" names below.)

    Grant> register/unregister is pretty obvious and follows other
    Grant> linux APIs.  Try "fgrep register_driver include/linux/*" in
    Grant> linux-2.6 source tree.

Yeah, the use of register/unregister fully spelled out is pretty
standard in the Linux kernel.  (And the non-word "unregister" seems to
be preferred to the non-word "deregister" as an antonym for register
by a pretty wide margin).

It makes sense to me to use ib_reg_phys_mr, ib_dereg_mr, etc as names
of verbs since the IB spec uses the word "deregister" and the rest of
the verb functions are pretty abbreviated.  Registering a memory
region seems somehow a little different from registering a callback or
a client too.

In any case I would like to stick with the ib_register_client function
names.  In fact in ib_mad.h maybe we should change ib_mad_reg and
ib_mad_dereg to ib_register_mad_agent and ib_unregister_mad_agent
(ib_mad_reg seems backwards from the rest of the API, where the verb
comes before the noun -- eg ib_create_qp).

 - R.