[openib-general] semantics of process_mad?

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Fri Sep 10 19:40:42 PDT 2004

    Fab> I'm confused as to what the QP parameter would be used for.
    Fab> Can you clarify?

To make sure we don't process e.g. MADs with SM class received on QP1.

    Fab> Why not have the out_mad be an output parameter?  If the
    Fab> process_mad has output data, it would allocate a mad, fill it
    Fab> in, and return it.  Just a random thought, so it may be
    Fab> totally stupid.

My objection to this is that it's generally a bad idea to have
allocation take place in one layer and freeing happen in another
layer.  Which would imply that we would need to add another low-level
driver entry point for "free response MAD," and that just seems a bit
silly to me.

 - R.