[openib-general] Proposed device enumeration & async event APIs

Grant Grundler iod00d at hp.com
Mon Sep 13 13:40:00 PDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 01:16:07PM -0700, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Grant> We don't know which client instances are bound to a
>     Grant> particular device?
>
> Nope... think of class_devices and class_interfaces in the current
> driver model.

I thought the whole point of class_devices and class_interfaces
in the driver model was to bind devices to drivers.

One difference to PCI analogy is IPoIB is "creating" the virtual device
when it talks to the IB HCA driver and sets up the various queues.
I don't know details of which types of queues are necessary for one
IPoIB instance.  But it seems natural for an IPoIB "device" to have
it's own set of queues for RX/TX and any admin stuff.

>     Grant> But I don't want to turn the IB world upside down to make
>     Grant> that work.  If if doesn't make sense, do it the way you
>     Grant> proposed originally.
>
> It's easy... like this:

Looks good to me - thanks!
grant