[openib-general] Re: DMA mapping on sparc64

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Tue Sep 14 21:04:45 PDT 2004

    Michael> I think this is going to break anyway when you actually
    Michael> have more than 4G memory that you can DMA into.  I think
    Michael> its more portable to allocate mads out of some pool,
    Michael> registering this pool with an lkey.

Of course my hack breaks if we get DMA addresses above 4G.  That's why
I call it a quick hack (for a specific situation) and not a general solution.

It's possible to allocate a chunk of memory and use it as a MAD pool.
However I think it's better to use an L_Key with translation off and
use any DMA address the kernel wants to give us.  See the email I just
sent for my proposal on how to do this.

 - R.