[openib-general] Reserved L_Key API

Dror Goldenberg gdror at mellanox.co.il
Tue Sep 14 23:39:12 PDT 2004

If you're creating a physical MR with 1:1 mapping, just turn on MPT.pa
bit. If you do that, you don't need to care about pages and you don't need
to set up MTTs. You're region will be bounded by the MPT.start_address
and MPT.start_address + MPT.reg_wnd_len. This way you can use
MRs longer than 2GB.

However, if you do believe that devices are likely to have this kind of
limitation, then I believe that it needs to be reflected in the API. When
you request this dma_mr, you'd need to specify which addresses are
to be covered in it.

One more question. If the device does supports the memory management
extensions. Will ib_get_dma_mr(NULL) be the right way to obtain the
dma_mr that will not be PD protected ? And if that fails, it means that
you need a valid PD.

-Dror