[openib-general] [RFC] ib_mad

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu Sep 16 15:15:14 PDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:29:45 -0400
Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com> wrote:

> Now that I think ib_mad is far enough along, I would like to request any
> code comments.

It would be terribly convenient for the SMI to know how many ports are on a device without having to query for it.  I have some other options to get around this issue, but I'm wondering if phys_port_cnt for a device can't either be stored by the MAD layer somewhere, or if it would make sense to move it into ib_device.  (Random thought... is there a reason why ib_device_attr or a pointer can't be stored in ib_device?  Is it already stored that way internally?)

Along similar lines, renaming ib_mad_port_private::port to port_num would let me think less, and my head already hurts from studying the SMI portion of the spec.  (I'll submit a patch for this with my latest SMI changes.)