[openib-general] [RFC] ib_mad

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Thu Sep 16 20:09:04 PDT 2004

    Roland> By the way, I'm not sure I totally understand the IB spec
    Roland> on pluggable ports.  Is the idea that the number of ports
    Roland> can change or just that the GUID of a port might change?

    Hal> The short answer is that both can change.

    Hal> Does that make sense ? Or is it more confusing ? Does that
    Hal> answer your question ?

I don't think that answered my question.  However the existence of a
System Image GUID change trap and the nonexistence of a "number of
ports change" trap seems to imply nodes changing their number of ports
is not well supported.  For example what's going to happen if a SM
discovers an 8 port switch, which then turns into a 12 port switch and
sends a trap for port 10 before the SM sweeps again?

Since no devices that I know of will change their number of ports, I
don't think we should worry about it now.

 - R.