[openib-general] [RFC] ib_mad

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Thu Sep 16 20:13:19 PDT 2004

    Hal> Why would the max possible number of ports need to be known
    Hal> ahead of time ? This might change as "modules" fit in the
    Hal> same chassis with higher port densities over time. It would
    Hal> be better if we didn't need to artificially limit it.

I don't think this corresponds to anything realistic.  Keep in mind
we're really only concerned about end ports, and a CA is _very_
unlikely to have a variable number of ports.  Even current chassis
based switches that I know of don't report themselves as a single node.

Everything right now is coded assuming that the number of ports stays
constant.  If someday that breaks we can go back and enumerate ports
with add and remove methods but for now that feels like
overengineering to me.

 - R.