[openib-general] IPoIB Loading and Starting

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Mon Sep 27 07:55:30 PDT 2004

    Roland> Also, a node may have many P_Keys assigned, only a few of
    Roland> which are used for IP traffic.  Administrators don't like
    Roland> to have to deal with 50+ network devices.

    Michael> What does this have to do with anything?  I'm not
    Michael> advocating having a large number of P_Key for IP traffic.

The issue comes up on nodes that belong to many partitions.  If we
expect the IPoIB driver to create a network interface for every P_Key
(the only sane thing the kernel can do if we don't want userspace to
have to explicitly configure P_Keys) then a single HCA with a 64-entry
P_Key table and 2 ports could create 128 IPoIB interfaces.

In any case this is really a cosmetic issue.

 - Roland