[openib-general] mthca startup problem

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Mon Sep 27 07:55:32 PDT 2004

    Roland> This was done because there are applications that want to
    Roland> make loopback connections before the SM has configured the
    Roland> local LID, but not have them break when the SM does assign
    Roland> a LID.

    Hal> Thanks. Assuming OpenIB uses this IPoIB implementation, would
    Hal> this be preserved ? It seems like it would remain based on
    Hal> your comments to Mike on the rationale for this.

This is independent of IPoIB -- the actual code is in mad_static.c.
(Not sure what my response about P_Keys has to do with this)

In any case my expectation would be that initial drops would not have
static (pre-SM) LID assignment.  Once we have enough implemented to
run apps that care about this, we can look for a better way to assign
LIDs (preferably in userspace) -- I don't like the current IP-address
based hack and I opposed it when it was added to Topspin's drivers.

 - Roland