[openib-general] IPoIB Loading and Starting

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Mon Sep 27 08:36:54 PDT 2004

    Michael> I don't follow why this is cosmetic.  The SM will
    Michael> configure whatever number of P_Key per port (CA or
    Michael> switch) that it desires.  IPoverIB does not and should
    Michael> not care about this.  IPoverIB should probe the SM/SA to
    Michael> determine what and how many P_Key it should use.  It
    Michael> should then establish unique interfaces for each P_Key.
    Michael> This is no different than what is done for 802.1Q where a
    Michael> separate driver instance exists per tag.  This was our
    Michael> intent when we wrote the specification.

As far as I know the SM doesn't know anything about IPoIB.  What
information can the IPoIB driver get from the SM/SA beyond what P_Keys
are assigned to its local ports?  (And this is already available from
the local P_Key table)

By the way, it's interesting that you mention 802.1q.  The Linux
implementation of VLAN tagging requires a userspace program
(vlanconfig) to be run to create tagged interfaces.

Thanks,
  Roland