[openib-general] IPoIB Loading and Starting

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Mon Sep 27 10:37:28 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 13:13, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Hal> In terms of "all multicast groups", this would be "all
>     Hal> multicast groups" for the PKeys configured on this port. In
>     Hal> the SA GetTable, the PKey could be wildcarded and the SA
>     Hal> would only return those groups for PKeys which are configured
>     Hal> for the port.
>
> I don't think this is the case.  If I read section 15.4.1 of the IB
> spec correctly, the SA will return all multicast groups.

That's the section I was referring to too. Doesn't C15-0.2-1 restrict
the SA GetTableResp to only include multicast groups for Pkeys on that
port ? I am interpreting the subject node is the same as the requesting
node in this case. What are you referring to ?

>     Hal> In terms of IPoIB GID format, this would check for the IPv4
>     Hal> or IPv6 signature depending on the IP interface type.
>
> Not sure what this means ??  IP interfaces don't have a type that I
> know of.

Aren't there separate IP interfaces in Linux for either IPv4 or IPv6 ?
That's what I meant by IP interface type. Maybe I'm not using the proper
terminology. The IPoIB signatures appear in the MGID of the multicast
group and are 0x401B for IPv4 and 0x601B for IPv6 per the IETF I-D.