[openib-general] MAD layer needs for porting SA client code

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Tue Sep 28 13:10:50 PDT 2004

    Hal> Just want to understand one more thing about what you just
    Hal> wrote: Is it correct to say that it doesn't make sense to
    Hal> carry this layer forward given the design of our current MAD
    Hal> layer because it does support the function of
    Hal> request/response with timeout ?

Yes, exactly.  During the discussion on the design of the MAD layer, I
suggested having a thin layer that handled nothing beyond allowing
multiple consumers to share QP 0/1 and then building things like
request/response matching in layers on top of that.  This was
overwhelmingly rejected by Yaron and others, who said that all of
these functions had to be in the core MAD layer.

Given that we are proceeding with a design that puts all this
functionality into the core MAD layer, it doesn't make sense for other
code to duplicate the same functions.

 - Roland