[openib-general] IPoIB Loading and Starting

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Tue Sep 28 15:50:58 PDT 2004

At 09:23 AM 9/27/2004, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Michael> The SM only knows what it configures in each port.  The
>     Michael> SA is responsible for service management and it works
>     Michael> with the SM to map a given service to a P_Key.
>
>As far as I know there is no service (in the IB service record sense)
>associated to IPoIB, is there?

Additional services can be defined beyond the base IB service record.  For
IP, the following would solve the problem:

- Have the SA define an IP service (this can be done for other protocols as
well).  This can be done using the Service ID annex specification (much of
this annex is focused on an endnode but for this purpose, the SA can be
viewed as a logical endnode).  The SA registers the service providing a
single point of management for the subnet.

- Each endnode issues request targeting the IP service identifier for each
P_Key that is configured in the port.  The SA response determines whether
the IP service is supported on this interface.

- For each P_Key, the endnode probes for the "all nodes" multicast address
and joins / creates accordingly.

Given P_Key can come and go, the endnode can set up an event notification
when the IP service is updated.  This allows dynamic configuration without
having an administrator interact with each node.

The above approach is both scalable and relatively simple to implement and
manage.

>     Michael> IPoverIB is required to inquire what groups are available
>     Michael> and optionally set up event notification to be informed
>     Michael> when groups are added for its particular service.  This
>     Michael> eliminates the need for local P_Key management.
>
>I don't see this requirement anywhere in the current IETF drafts,
>although I could be missing it.  In any case this seems rather ugly,
>since the only way to get a list of IPoIB multicast groups seems to be
>to query for _all_ multicast groups, filter for those that match the
>IPoIB GID format, and then attempt to join to find out which can be
>used on each local port.
>
>     Michael> In general, the IPoverIB driver should treat each new
>     Michael> all-nodes multicast group with a unique P_Key as a
>     Michael> virtual hot-plug event (this was our intent both within
>     Michael> the IETF and in the IBTA).
>
>Hmm.. this view does not seem to match the wording of the current IPoIB
>drafts.  For example:
>
>         It is an implementation choice on how the P_Key and the scope
>         bits related to the IPoIB subnet are determined by the
>         implementation. These could be configuration parameters
>         initialized by some means by the administrator.
>
>         The methods employed by an implementation to determine the
>         P_Key and scope bits are not specified by IPoIB.

It was not specified due to the lack of standards for higher-level service
management which partitioning is classified.  Given there is an OpenSM
effort in flight and the Service ID spec is already in existence, it isn't
that tough to acquire an IP service ID (or any other protocol that one
wants to support) and implement a solution along the lines that I describe
above.  This would lead to a more dynamic environment while reducing the
impact to the administrator.

Mike