[openib-general] static LID computation with TS_HOST_DRIVER

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Tue Sep 28 18:56:55 PDT 2004

    Tom> [KERNEL_IB][ib_mad_static_compute_base][/build1/tduffy/openib-work/linux-2.6.9-rc2-openib/drivers/infiniband/core/mad_static.c:94]Couldn't
    Tom> find a suitable network device; setting lid_base to 1

    Tom> I am trying to track down why this is happening, but it seems
    Tom> to pop up when the ib_mthca driver is loaded at boot time on
    Tom> my sparc64 box (haven't tested other architectures).

    Tom> I guess you need to have your ethernet driver loaded in and
    Tom> up with an IP address /before/ you load ib_mthca?  What if
    Tom> this is not the case?

Yeah, if it can't find a configured interface it bails out and picks
1.  It's benign and it will go away when we switch MAD layers.  In
fact I'm going to disable it on my tree now...

    Tom> Anyways, I thought the LID would be assigned by the SM...

Yeah, this is a hack to try and pick a LID that the SM won't change.
Some applications create connections before the SM has discovered the
node and don't want them broken when the SM does come around.

 - R.