[openib-general] IPoIB Loading and Starting

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Tue Sep 28 19:40:13 PDT 2004

At 04:31 PM 9/28/2004, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Michael> It was not specified due to the lack of standards for
>     Michael> higher-level service management which partitioning is
>     Michael> classified.  Given there is an OpenSM effort in flight
>     Michael> and the Service ID spec is already in existence, it isn't
>     Michael> that tough to acquire an IP service ID (or any other
>     Michael> protocol that one wants to support) and implement a
>     Michael> solution along the lines that I describe above.  This
>     Michael> would lead to a more dynamic environment while reducing
>     Michael> the impact to the administrator.
>
>This scheme might indeed be reasonable.  However, given the absence of
>an IBTA spec or IETF draft, I don't see how we can rely on it in our
>IPoIB driver right now.

The IBTA defined the specifications to establish standard wire protocols to
discover services without having to track all potential services.  The IETF
does not address how P_Keys are managed only that the IP over IB component
must follow a set of semantics / operations to enable IP communication; all
IB-specific management issues are outside the scope of the drafts.

As another person put it - embrace and extend.  The approach being
advocated is something that will be interoperable and provides a solution
that can be easily incorporated into all IP over IB implementations.  It
also clarifies the ambiguous IB - admin management interactions for IP
communications.

Mike